- 1 pound yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place the potatoes into a large pot of salted water and set it over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain the potatoes into a colander and return them to the pot.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook it until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic, ginger, serrano pepper, ground cumin, cumin seed, garam masala, and turmeric to the skillet. Toast the spices for about 1 minute, until very fragrant.
Add the spinach and water to the skillet. Stir everything and cook until the spinach has fully wilted and most of the water has evaporated, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and potatoes to the skillet. Gently stir everything to distribute the potatoes while you bring the coconut milk to a simmer.
Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Season the curry with salt and pepper to taste.