1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves minced
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and membranes removed, diced
1½ lbs. of skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 can diced green chilies, 4oz
1 can full fat coconut milk, 14oz
Additional Ingredients: We added white rice and Mexican corn. The rice could cook in the soup or you could cook it separately in a rice cooker then add it in the soup before serving. This would also be good with white beans instead or rice. Use some fresh cilantro and avocado slices for garnish.
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
2. Add onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeños and cook until softened.
3. Remove veggies from pan and set aside. Mix all spices in a bowl and season both sides of the chicken thighs. Place chicken in the pot and cook until chicken is browned on both sides. About 5 min.
4. Add back in the veggies, chicken broth, and diced green chilies. Bring to a boil.
5. Lower heat and let simmer for 15 min.
6. Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Then return chicken to the pot.
7. Add the can of coconut milk and bring it back to a boil.
8. Let it boil about 10 minutes until the soup is slightly reduced and thickened.
9. Season to taste. (We had to add a lot more salt!) Then garish and serve.