- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 – 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
- Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add 4 and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, the heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to medium-high speed and beat for 2 full minutes. Taste. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet. (1/8 tsp.)
- Adjust if needed: Add up to 1/2 cup more confectioners’ sugar if frosting is too thin or more heavy cream, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if frosting is too thick.
- This recipe is enough to frost 12-16 cupcakes or a thin layer on a 9×13 cake.
- If your confectioners’ sugar is particularly lumpy, I recommend sifting it 1-2x before measuring and using.
- You can use half-and-half or whole milk instead if needed. The lower the fat, the less creamy your buttercream will be.
Recipe is from Sally’s Baking Addiction